It is available in three consistencies (soft, medium & hard). Easily softened in sunlight, a microwave, under light bulbs or just by the heat of your hands. Castilene models like clay and works like wax. It can also be melted down and poured. This allows for easy manipulation. It is sulfur free and a favorite among many toy and prototype designers. 40% lighter than Plastiline, Self supporting without armature. All grades are compatible; hard for armature and building up piece, add soft and medium for detailing and modeling. Soft is susceptible to dings and bruising.
- Models like clay and works like wax
- 40% lighter than Plastiline
- Can be melted down and poured
- Sulfur free
Smooth-On is one of the worlds leading manufaturers 3D modeling materials such as mold-making, casting and special effects materials but also industrial casting resins, adhesives and equipment. FormX is main distributor of Smooth-On products in Europe.
To begin soften with your heat source (heat lamps, hot boxes, heat guns, crock pots, Microwaves, (BE CAREFUL NOT TO SUPER HEAT IN MICROWAVE OR AIR BUBBLES MAY RESULT), hot water, or double boiler) Do not use direct flame. The melting temperature is 76 C.
- Hard Castilene will remain malleable while working if kept warm by heat lamps.
- All general wax tools and wax carving methods are compatible with Castilene.
- Heat your tools prior to carving
- Chill Castilene to achieve optimum hardness for extreme sharp carving, detailing and burnishing.
Let us help you find your way.
The list below may help you find what you are looking for via an alternative path.